- "Here lies fragments of my lost soul. It is lost because I have broken my oath as a knight."
Jaid is a noble knight of Arcada who fights for honor and justice. He joined Evann's team in order to fight the Elemental Disorder that took the life of an Arcadian princess whom he had promised to protect. However, he has little respect for the Nortis and distrusts them because of their recent dispute.
Appearance and Personality
Jaid is a fairly tall man with long, thin ears distinctive of the Arcadian race. He has long, pale green hair and eyes that are either green (portraits and offical art) or brown (in-game model). He wears a fur-collared blue jacket similar in style to Titto's orange one, over a beige shirt and blue tunics with yellow detailing and a red belt. He also wears brown boots with a fur top and purple trousers. His staff has a static, mace-like design. Though several characters can equip shields, Jaid is the only one who appears on the battlefield with one, which has an emblem on its front resembling the Arcadian flag shown in the opening cutscene.
Deceptive of his noble values, Jaid is haughty, sneering and prideful. He is vocal about his distaste for the Nortis, who he still views as an enemy, and clashes with Brandol as soon as the two of them meet. Despite agreeing to work with the army he still tries to keep to himself, only viewing them as a necessary stepping stone for accomplishing his goals. He has an upstanding appearance but reacts badly to having his pride dented, as is shown multiple times during Chapter Four. Beneath his arrogant exterior he seems to have a certain level of compassion, given that he took the orphaned Titto in after an incident in which Titto had stolen from him.
During the war with Nortis, Jaid was a knight in the Arcadian forces. He had made an oath to protect a noblewoman, who pursued him by boat to the front lines during a period in which the Water Disorder became highly active. The woman died in the incident, causing Jaid to blame himself for not being able to uphold his oath.
At some point before the start of the story, he was robbed of an important object by Titto. Despite this brazen action Jaid didn't hold it against the thief, choosing to take him under his wing instead after the item was returned. The two of them volunteered to join the Nortis Army's mission to neutralise the Disorder together. Jaid held the belief that he could put his mind to rest about breaking his oath to the noblewoman if he was able to end the Disorder. Because of this oath, Jaid is a mandatory party member during the first visit to Tsunami Trough and the Aqua Ruins.
He and Lutina knew each other previously as well, as they are both members of Arcada's military. When she attacks the party after the Gale Ruins he is stunned, and asks if she remembers him, to which she calls him a "traitor". She explains what will happen with the Slabs, which have already been handed over to Specto, and Jaid realises then that he has been deceived. He bids never to trust the Nortis Army again, but continues to work with the team after Evann talks sense into him and Titto.
Jaid is one of the party's two primary mage-types, though he is not modelled in the exact archetype like in most RPGs. It would be more accurate to call Jaid a mage knight, as he can equip slightly heavier gear than a typical mage and is quite capable of looking after himself at close range. Due to the fact he uses a combat mace and a shield, his fighting style is unique for a spellcaster. Jaid's INT grows at a sufficient rate throughout his level ups, obviously making Mana Eggs tools of utter destruction in his capable hands. However, the shop in Grandia Xtreme offers a unique selection for Jaid; the inventory includes two types of maces for him: normal ones for boosting his physical attack like everyone else and ones that primarily augment his magic strength more (these usually come with "use as item" effects). This essentially allows the player to gear Jaid toward either a physical or magical setup. Jaid can equip four Mana Eggs but only two Skill Books, which might steer the player to simply give him magic-boosting skills for those two books, but he can be an effective physical striker too due to his unique fighting style. With four eggs, he can have a wide library of elemental spells to toss at enemies and still have a spot left to be a healer. He shares his Skill Book and Mana Egg slots with Myam, who is also a magic-based character. Jaid also has a good variety of range in his special moves, three of which rely on his magic strength for damage (Nightmare Ball, Fist Burst and Jolt Knuckle). His specialty element is fire and he instills it in a number of combination moves with his allies. Jaid's only real flaws are his lower speed on the turn gauge and his movement, but these aren't severe problems to overcome.
- Blaster Bomb - Jaid runs up to his target and stops, gathering energy onto the tip of his mace. He then impales the enemy with it, causing the energy to explode. Cancel effect
- Nightmare Ball - Jaid channels water magic and then emits a fan-shaped blast of bubbles from his mace which cause minimal damage and can also inflict the sleep status. Interestingly, this is the only water-based attacking move your party can wield in Grandia Xtreme as the element is usually reserved for healing spells. Water elemental; sleep effect; dependent on Jaid's magic rating for damage
- Fist Burst - Jaid gathers fire magic into his fist and punches forward, sending a small collection of fireballs at his target. This move seems to easily land all seven of its hits if the enemy is particularly large. Fire elemental; dependent on Jaid's magic rating for damage
- Titan Fist - Jaid holds his fist out and gathers shimmering energy into it. He then punches the ground, causing a huge fist of energy to come crashing down upon his target and the surrounding area.
- Jolt Knuckle - Jaid gathers even more power into his fist and punches the ground, causing energy to seep into the earth. A moment passes and then a wide dome-shaped blast of searing light explodes outward from his position to damage any nearby targets. Dependent on Jaid's magic rating for damage.
- Cross Break, Jaid + Evann - Melee combo with a cancel effect.
- Fire Slash, Jaid + Brandol - Multiple hit combo with a cancel effect. Fire elemental damage.
- Ifrit Slash, Jaid + Carmyne - Jaid charges Carmyne's sword with fire power, which she then uses to slice an enemy. Fire elemental damage and cancel effect.
- Burst Rondo, Jaid + Titto - Multiple hit combo with a cancel effect. Fire elemental damage.
- Flame Tornado, Jaid + Ulk - Fire elemental damage to all enemy targets.
- Dancing Attack, Jaid + Lutina - Multiple hit combo with a cancel effect.
- Explosion Smash, Jaid + Evann + Brandol - Multiple hit combo with a cancel effect. Bomb elemental damage.
- Triple Blaze Slash, Jaid + Evann + Carmyne - Multiple hit combo with a cancel effect. Fire elemental damage.
- Phoenix Formation, Jaid + Evann + Titto - Multiple hit combo with a cancel effect. Fire elemental damage.
- Big Bang Hammer, Jaid + Evann + Ulk - Jaid charges Evann and Ulk's weapons with Fire elemental damage. They smash into the ground, causing a massive shockwave that damages all enemy targets.
- Delta Formation, Jaid + Evann + Lutina - Multiple hit combo with a cancel effect.
- Armageddon, Jaid + Brandol + Ulk - Summoning of a massive explosion that devestates all enemy targets.
- Requiem Force, Jaid + Titto + Lutina - The Arcadian team summons energy that lowers the stats of all enemies.
Jaid and Myam do not share any Feats whatsoever. He is also the only party member that doesn't have a four-member Feat.
|Grandia Xtreme Main Characters|